Alien Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesMusicRegisterLog in
Similar topics

Designate Flagship

Go down 
    2 posters
    AuthorMessage
    PUREVENOM

Designate Flagship Empty
    PostSubject: Designate Flagship   Designate Flagship EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:58 am

Okay I need some help/ideas because I can't seem to make this work on my own. I'm trying to create a new research subject that will allow you to designate which Capital Ship is your Flagship. So for example, you research it, then you may select which ship will be your Flagship and it will say Flagship just like it does now when you have a ship with a higher level. But now it will stay as your Flagship regardless of level, and since it is your flagship, upon designating your ship, it will also get a boost in shields, or hull points etc. (I had planned to make that part different for each faction) If your flagship gets destroyed, you may select another as your designated flagship and it will receive the same bonus, however there will be a cooldown or time period in which you must wait before you are allowed to designate another ship as your flagship.
    Back to top Go down
    ZombiesRus5

Designate Flagship Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Designate Flagship   Designate Flagship EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 12:32 pm

I hadn't read this until today and it's a cool idea. The problem will be the designate flag ship. I'm not sure how or if it's possible to limit to a single ship (sins2 needs a small scripting element) as Research tends to affect all or none. A variation might be to add a Designate Flagship ability to a structure that only exists on your home planet. This could be the catalyst to apply permanent buffs to a capital ship (i.e. flagship). Of course this doesn't solve the problem of only wanting a single Flag Ship (just an idea to mull over). I was hoping their was a way to lock down the abiltiy until the receiver of the buff died, but I can't seem to find a way yet.

Oddly enough I took my own stab at having a Flag Ship yesterday ([MINI MOD] Sins Flagship Mod (Need Ideas) (Version 0.01 Released)). I was going for a random (hopefully fun) approach to what would be the flagship and boosted the stats on these ships to make them more formidable.
    Back to top Go down
    ZombiesRus5

Designate Flagship Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Designate Flagship   Designate Flagship EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Ok, I wrote that reply then had a small moment of either inspiration or insanity. What if... the designate flagship ability was a channelling ability with finishCondition of NoTarget?

It appears the buff would stay active even if the flag ship jumps away from the home planet and the ability would stay locked down until the target died.

It's an interesting idea to maybe test out when I get some free moments.

Edit - I don't think any of this solves the flagship naming issue though (Sorry).
    Back to top Go down
    PUREVENOM

Designate Flagship Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Designate Flagship   Designate Flagship EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 8:07 am

I created a research subject for the Koll II model that Zer0 made for me. Once researched, it grants the Koll II a 5th ability which I named: "Reinforced Armor". That gives the ship an additional 2 Armor Points, and an additional 200 Hull Points.

I could create a new Research Subject that would give extra power to a Capital Ship, but that still leaves several problems. The Capital Ship type, (Battleship, Siege, etc.) would have to be pre-named. Meaning that the player would not be able to choose what type of Capital Ship that they wanted to apply it to. Secondly, it wouldn't be limited to just one Capital Ship, it would effect all the Capital Ships of that given type. And once again it would only say "Flagship" if that one was your highest level ship.

I've still had absolutely zero success in locating anything that governs the naming of a Capital Ship as The Flagship. We all know that it has to do with whichever ship is currently the highest level ship. So the Gameplay Constants file seemed like logical place for that to be in, but I have yet to find any reference in any file relating to "Flagship".
    Back to top Go down
    ZombiesRus5

Designate Flagship Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Designate Flagship   Designate Flagship EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 8:58 am

PUREVENOM wrote:

I've still had absolutely zero success in locating anything that governs the naming of a Capital Ship as The Flagship. We all know that it has to do with whichever ship is currently the highest level ship. So the Gameplay Constants file seemed like logical place for that to be in, but I have yet to find any reference in any file relating to "Flagship".

The only references I have found so far are in English.str and *.galaxy (isFirstCapitalShipIsFlagship TRUE|FALSE).
    Back to top Go down
    PUREVENOM

Designate Flagship Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Designate Flagship   Designate Flagship EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 11:22 am

I don't suppose you know the line number that it is on or remember what it was close to in the string file do you?
    Back to top Go down
    ZombiesRus5

Designate Flagship Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Designate Flagship   Designate Flagship EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 4:35 pm

PUREVENOM wrote:
    I don't suppose you know the line number that it is on or remember what it was close to in the string file do you?

Sorry, missed this question back then. I just searched for Flagship and found the entry in the English.str.

However, I have a new thought on how to accomplish this.

Have all races start with a command ship for your admiral (part of galaxy scenario def).

The command ship has one ability called board flagship (or some variant).

This puts all the buffs you want on the flagship plus gives it one particle effect (See Sins of the Prophets Hull damage effects) that reads Flagship in text.

Also as part of the buffs an onOwnerDeath buff is given that spawns a new command ship should this one ever die.

Thus the cycle is repeated.

You could add immunity abilities similar to envoy's on command ships to help them escape a bad situation.

Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

Designate Flagship Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Designate Flagship   Designate Flagship Empty

Back to top Go down

Designate Flagship
    Page 1 of 1